Thursday 26 July 2012

Heading through Toronto in a rental car without SAT NAV


Location: Toronto & Montréal, Canada


Since my travel schedule for the past two months was crammed with exciting places to visit (Canada, Japan and China), I just didn’t have a chance to sit down and post something on online my travel diary. Please bear with me. Today though I managed to make some time and of course I don’t want to keep all the things I’ve seen and learned to myself. You know me, I’m happy to share some information. In case you are interested in taking me places, just let me know (email to 
info@aut-chemnitz.de).

At the end of June I made my way to Canada, more precisely to Toronto and Montréal. In Toronto there were at least two things I’ve learned: Firstly, I figured out that either my sense of orientation isn’t as bad after all or the infrastructure and ways to get around in Toronto are easy to grasp. I assume the latter is probably more likely. ;-) This insight was actually down to the fact that the car I had rented didn’t have SAT NAV which required me to follow road signs and pixelated maps from the internet but which gave me the chance to take notice of my environment and to see where I’m actually going. Secondly, and more importantly, I found out that there is not one general rule on waste treatment set out by the federal government in Canada. In fact, the ways rubbish and scrap are handled differ both across and within the different states of Canada and are down to state governments and individual municipalities.

Arguably, this way of dealing with waste management has one crucial advantage. Since states and local authorities do not depend upon national guidelines stringently telling them how to deal with their waste, space is made for the development and realisation of creative and environmentally-friendly ideas for waste management. On this note, the likelihood (and willingness) to try out new things increases, which raises the chances of those in charge to turn to more innovative and progressive solutions and technologies. On the other hand, the lack of a standard legislation on waste disposal and recycling that applies to all states of Canada may cause the development of significant contrasts across and within the states. For instance, whereas one municipality may ambitiously separate collected residential waste according to material type for the purpose of recycling and a closed substance waste management, another municipality may not see a need for removing valuable resources from the mix and, therefore, has its waste piles shipped to landfill sites based in a different country.

Which waste management strategies will turn out to be the most effective, financially viable and environmentally-friendly remains to be seen. Though, at the end of the day, the issue of waste production and disposal is the same for every municipality and state in Canada (and the world for that matter). If there ever is one optimal solution for this issue that further meets all the attributes listed above, perhaps there is a chance to spread the word across the borders of municipalities, states, countries and continents.

See you next month! 

Yours, August

 

No comments:

Post a Comment